Nitrous (Laughing Gas) & Oral Medications- For Those With Fear and Dental Treatment Anxiety
Nitrous oxide (laughing gas) is one of several sedation dentistry options available to significantly reduce your fears and discomfort.
Benefits of Nitrous Oxide:
- It’s effective for mild to moderate anxiety
- Proven safety record
- Offers an analgesic (pain relieving) effect
- It’s quick-acting, with few side effects
- You may not need someone to escort you to and from our office
- You can usually return to normal activities fairly soon
In many cases, you can get ALL of your dental work done in one visit. Nitrous oxide is best suited for cases of mild to moderate anxiety and is the most frequently used sedation method. Under nitrous oxide you remain conscious and able to breathe on your own, with a sense of total well-being (euphoria). Patients generally recover quickly, often with little memory of the procedure. .
Oral conscious sedation, or OCS, utilizes oral sedative medication to significantly reduce your fears and discomfort. OCS does not require needles to administer and is less expensive than IV sedation.
Benefits of Oral Conscious Sedation:
- It’s very effective for mild to moderate anxiety
- It’s safe and easy